Everyone has to start somewhere. If you have never trained with weights before, you need a routine to get your muscles prepared for more serious training. It’s essential that you complete a full body routine (like the one in this article) for 12 weeks before starting a split routine.
If you’re new to the gym and working out, head over to our forum and get some advice to make sure you’re on the right path and don’t waste your gym time!
Weeks One to Six: Total Body Circuit Workout
- Complete the following on two non-consecutive days per week.
- During the first three weeks, do each exercise for one set of 15 reps: during the last three weeks, do two sets of 12 reps for body parts indicated (using a slightly heavier weight on all sets)
Before Start the Exercise
Warm up for 3-5 minutes by either jumping rope, doing jumping jacks, using a rower machine or riding a stationary bike
- 3 sets of dips 15, 20, 25
- 3 sets of Chin Ups or Pull Up 8, 10, 12
WEEKS One to Three Exercises:
|Hamstrings||Lying Leg Curl||1||15|
|Upper Back||Seated Cable Row||1||15|
|Chest||Flat Bench Press||1||15|
|Lower Back||Back extension||1||15|
|Calves||Standing calf raise||1||15|
|Forearms||Barbell wrist curl||1||15|
WEEKS Four to Six Exercises :
|Hamstrings||Lying Leg Curl||2||12|
|Upper Back||Seated Cable Row||2||12|
|Chest||Flat Bench Press||2||12|
|Lower Back||Back extension||2||12|
|Calves||Standing calf raise||2||12|
|Forearms||Barbell wrist curl||2||12|
Weeks Seven to Twelve: Split Workout with Increased Intensity.
- Divide your body into two parts (upper and lower), increasing weight training days to three non consecutive days per week (i.e., Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
- Alternate between the two exercise routines. In the first week, you’ll end up doing Workout 1 twice, while in the second week you’ll do workout 2 twice etc.
- Do sets and reps as indicated.
- Rest 60-90 seconds between the sets.
- Choose exercise alternates on occasion to work the muscles a little differently
Workout One: Upper Body
|Chest||Flat Dumbbell Press
Pec Dec Fly
|Upper Back||1 arm dumbbell row
Seated Cable Row
|Shoulders||Seated dumbbell press
Dumbbell lateral raise
|Forearms||Barbell wrist curl||2||10-12|
Workout Two: Lower Body
|Quads/Glutes||Smith machine squats||1||8-12|
|Hamstrings||Lying leg curl||1||10-12|
|Lower Back||Back extension||1||20-30|
|Calves||Standing calf raise||1||12-15|